Beginners Guide To Buying A Dog Kennel
In this blog, we’ll be sharing my tips on buying a dog kennel - what to look out for, what to keep in mind, and where to find the perfect kennel for your pup.
But first, what is the difference between a crate and a kennel?
Unlike a crate, a dog kennel is much bigger. A kennel typically has enough space for your dog to exercise. They should be large enough to fit two dogs - just in case you have two dogs or a puppy play date.
Permanence and strength
Kennels are built to be permanent, unlike a crate which can be collapsible. Kennels are also generally much stronger, because of the fact that they are set outside and exposed to the weather.
Kennels are built for the outdoors
Kennels are kept outside and therefore designed from materials that make them durable throughout all seasons.
A kennel is a permanent fixture where your dog can spend an excessive amount of time. A crate on the other hand is typically used for shorter periods of time - either to transport your dog or for periods when they need rest or respite.
Read our blog on how to crate train your puppy HERE.
A beginners guide to buying a dog kennel
Get the right size
Make sure you purchase a kennel that is large enough to accommodate your dog. They should be able to comfortably turn around and walk a couple of steps (at least). It should not be a ‘tight fit’ for your dog. The kennel needs space to breathe and air (particularly if it is made from wood).
Measuring your backyard
If you’re placing the kennel in your backyard, be sure to measure the space you have available and allow for a little extra room to access the kennel. You don’t want to put it into a tight spot where you can’t access it or put it in a position where it can’t be aired to deter mold or dampness.
As with anything, cheaper isn’t always better. It’s far better to invest in a high-quality kennel made from quality materials than to grab the cheapest one you can find that’ll only last a few months.
A high-quality kennel will be made from materials like wood or galvanized steel. And while wooden kennels may look appealing, they can deteriorate in extreme weather conditions. Aside from rotting and mold, wood can also welcome insects and bugs that may bother your dog, and ruin the kennel.
It’s for these reasons that we recommend galvanized steel. Our heavy-duty playpen for example is easy to construct, clean, and maintain.
Not every kennel has a roof, but if you opt for a roofed kennel consider a sloped roof. This style allows for more space and feels less squished. Roofs with shingles and metal sheets (like corrugated iron) tend to last longer.
Metal roofs tend to be more costly than shingle roofs. However, if you live in an area that receives large amounts of rain, metal roofing is a better choice. Shingle roofing is not ideal for areas with snowfall, as the snow can get stuck, freeze and damage the shingles.
Bite proof wiring
Most dogs like to chew things, so you’re going to need a bite-proof fence/kennel. Typically 6-gauge welded wire is bite-proof. As is galvanized steel, which is what our kennels are made from.
Puppy Fever Pro’s premium kennels
Create a full-size chain-link kennel from the contents of a single box. A do-it-yourself box kennel can be transported with ease and sets up quickly with the help of a few simple hand tools. Your furry pal will soon be enjoying a bit of fresh air and sunshine. Also applicable for Run for Chicken Coop and Hens House.
- Size: 13 x 7 1/2 x 6 feet
- Chain link boxed kennel is made with rust-resistant galvanized steel and has an easy-to-connect design for a simple frame assembly.
- All materials are included and come with a 1-year warranty.
Create whatever size and shape kennel to fit your pets' needs with the (8) 4-foot high x 2.5 foot wide panels in this complete kit. Purchase additional kits for extra panels to expand your kennel or fit your unique space. Each panel features 12 gauge mesh welded to a 0.75-inch frame. Rust-resistant and powder-coated galvanized steel construction makes this kennel perfect for long-term outdoor or indoor use
- Perfect For Your Pet: 4 foot tall panels with customizable expansion accommodates most types of pets. Let your dogs, cats, chickens, bunnies, goats, lambs, or piglets roam in the spacious play area.
- Keep Your Pet Safe: A door latch keeps your pet safe and secure in the playpen while allowing for easy access to the owners. The low entry point of the door frame makes it easy for pets to step in and out of the kennel, eliminating the need for bending over and picking up your animal.
- Easy 1-Person Assembly: All-in-one kit comes with pre-drilled holes, all necessary hardware, and an instruction manual to make setup quick and easy.
- Compact Storage and Transport: This exercise pen is comprised of stackable individual panels, making storage and transport compact and simple.
Looking for a kennel for your dog? View our range of high-quality, locally made dog kennels HERE.